Wednesday, July 04, 2012

The Un-Writen Rule Broken

Yesterday, I got to hang out with my wonderful friend Samantha Fine and her mother Sarah.  We went to Seattle with no set plans.  We went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch.  Since it started out as a nice day, we went to Alki Beach in West Seattle.  After driving up hill, we found a viewing point with an amazing view of the Seattle Sky Line.  From there, our adventure took us across the Ballard Bridge and then into the U-District.  We decided to turn back around and head into the Seattle Center again and we drove right past the Space Needle.  We kept driving, just trying to think of something to do.

That is when we passed SafeCo Field.  I remembered looking at their schedule the other day and they were in town.  I suggested a game and Sam and Sarah were on board.  So we found somewhere to turn around.  Found great parking right in front of the field for an awesome price and headed to the ticket sales window.  We got a good price for seats in the bleachers in center field.


After sitting for about an hour, I realized that my shorts were not going to cut it any longer.  I wasn't at a Ranger game, where game time temps are in the upper 90's.  I was in Seattle.  I decided to explore before the game started and see if I could find a decently priced pair of sweatpants.  As I started my journey for warmth, I ran into the Mariner Moose.  I don't know what they call him, but I did get a great picture.


After the picture, I continued on my journey and found the team store.  After getting the pair of sweats that were on sale, I walked back to the bleachers.  On my way I grabbed a hot dog, some garlic fries and a drink.  I was set for game time.

As the game was starting, a group of Orioles fans came in and were setting behind us.  Some how, we got into a great conversation.  As the game sped along (the first 5 innings in an hour) the guy right behind me asked if any of the Mariners had gotten on base.  I turned around and said no, but we don't want to talk about it (that unwritten rule about how you don't talk about perfect games or no-hitters while they are happening).  So we ignored it.  The Orioles opened up in the top of the 6th and scored four runs.  Chen was pitching great and went 1-2-3 again in the bottom of the 6th.  

As the Orioles took the field in the bottom of the 7th and got the first out, you could feel that something special might just happen.  That is when the un-written rule was broken.  One of the other guys behind me finally caught on to what was happening and said, "I have never been to a perfect game before that would be awesome."  I slumped my head in disgust.  On the very next pitch, Wells hit a home run.  Perfect game and no-hitter gone with one swing of the bat.

The Mariners rallied in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game.  However, the Orioles scored in their half of the 9th and held Seattle in the bottom of the inning to win the game.

It would have been nice to see a Perfect Game.  But I still had a great day in Seattle with Sam and Sarah.

No comments: