Thursday, October 06, 2011

How a Shower Curtain Saved my Life

If you were to ask my grandparents, they would probably tell you that I am a very accident proved person. I am also very sickly. I get hurt and get sick often. Therefore if you know me, the following story isn't that out of the ordinary. But for those of you that don't know me, you are in for a treat.

Yesterday morning I woke up at 4:45 so that I could get in the shower. Why so early you may ask? Well, my grandmother and I both work at the same school, me as a teacher and her in the office as a secretary. That means we both have to get up and ready to go to school in the mornings using the same shower. So I got in the shower.

Being a girl, I thought that it was time for me to shave my legs again (I wanted to wear my favorite dress and jeans jacket, which meant I needed smooth legs). Leg up, stroke, leg down, rinse razor, repeat. The first few strokes went just as planned. Then came the fourth rotation. Leg up, then another leg starts to come up and I began to fall. I was thinking to my self, "Be ready, this is going to hurt!" As I began to fall, I grabbed behind me. The shower curtain was what my hands found. The entire curtain and rod came down (Even the part that was attached to the wall). I landed on my back while my left side slammed into the sink and toilet.

Knowing that my grandmother was awake and reading the paper in the living room, and that my grandfather had probably heard and woke up, I grabbed a towel to cover up. I was so embarrassed, I didn't even think about what was hurting. The first thing my grandmother asked was if I was alive, and if I could move. I said, "I don't know." She stepped back out of the bathroom and let me get myself up and somewhat dressed so her and my grandpa could come in. I was worried about the curtain rod, they were worried about me.

I went to school because we were giving an all day test and I knew that I wouldn't have much to do other than facilitate. As the day wore on, all those little nicks started to make themselves known. I was hurting all over. My shoulder was killing me and my back was not far behind. I went to the doctor after school was over. He said nothing was broken or torn, just really swollen and really bruised. After looking at the X-ray of my back, he said that I have arthritis in my lower back, which is probably why it started hurting after I fell. His last words," Go home and thank your shower curtain, it probably saved your life."

That my friends is how a shower curtain saved my life!

No comments: